Go to Page | Index | Contents | 19   Camp Texas, LA | Page- | Page+

[James H.] Orr, who was one of the most rigid officers I ever knew. Late in the night, I thought I would play out a little. I climbed away up on top of a large corn pile nearby, and went to sleep; soon, however, I was aroused by someone pulling me about, and asking if I belonged to the detail. I roused up a little, and recognized Lieut. Orr. After all the wagons were aboard, we began to lead the mules, one by one, aboard over the stage plank, and very soon, one seemed a little scared, and the boys began a Texas yell, which caused it to fall a distance of twenty feet into the river. He swam down about two hundred yards and landed on the opposite side. We took a yawl, and went and swam him back.

Next morning, we went aboard, and launched our boats for Alexandria. We landed here with less welcome than we received a few months before; no enemy now being in their country, they feared for their commissaries and forage of their fruitful farms. We soon, however, took up line of march for the piny woods, twenty miles southwest of the town, and went into camp, which we called Camp Texas.

On the way to this place, from Alexandria, I saw the prettiest farms and residences, and the most beautiful shrubbery in the yards, I ever beheld. The shrubs were trained to grow in almost every imaginable shape.

Camp Texas was a beautiful pine slope, with the prettiest clear creek in rear of the camp that I ever saw. We cleared off a large drill ground in front, and spent a great deal of our time in drilling, and in addition to our Reg't drill, we were marched to the woods, and drilled in Brigades, and the entire Division occasionally.

Here, John McGee, who deserted at Camp Bayou Meter [Meto], returned -- rode up as though he commanded the army, inquired after our health, also our spirits in regard to our success in the war, and told us he had been very anxious about our welfare, during his entire absence. He immediately went to see the Regimental Commander, who ordered him out on fatigue duty, such as clear up the drill ground, for sixty days. He turned his watch over to Capt., and went to work, apparently, very willingly. Very soon, however, he got news that he would be court-martialed. He asked permission to visit Gen. Polignac's Command, [Gen. Camille Armand Jules Marie Prince de Polignac] from which he never returned.

While on post at this place, the officer of the guard came to me, and in a rather reproachful manner, asked me why I did not salute that officer correctly, who had passed. I told him no one had passed. He smiled, and went to my next neighbor, R. Purcell, and said the same and proposed to show him how to salute an officer, whereupon Purcell gave him his gun, and the Lieut. started to the guard houses, with the greatest glee, and Purcell after him. After he had teased him awhile, he gave it back to him.

While here, Col. [Wilburn Hill] King was thrown from a horse on the drill field. Here, also, to the great amusement of the Reg't., while on the drill field, he stepped into a hole (where a pine stump had burned out) almost to his armpits.

We left here, in the direction of Alexandria, marched part of the night, and while resting in the dark, someone said "Look out", at which the Reg't.

Go to Page | Index | Contents | 19   Camp Texas, LA | Page- | Page+
Life of John C. Porter and Sketch of His Experiences in the Civil War

John C. Porter 1874