powder and lead. At Austin there was no lead, and the government was obliged to send to Missouri for it. The magazine at Houston was too far away to be drawn on safely by the western country if need be; there were two magazines at Austin. By September 1840, some of the guns ordered from Tryon, Son & Co. had been received; others captured from the enemy in 1835-1836 were in use in the Texan army; and 130 had been repaired during the year.
Plans, with drawings, were developed during the year 1840 for the defense of Galveston, San Luis, Point Bolivar, Brazos Santiago, Velasco, and Aransas. Galveston's battery was regarded in September 1840 as unsafe and as needing "an immediate, complete, and thorough repair," without regard to the erection of the fort recommended by Colonel George W. Hockley, head of the Ordnance Department. In April 1840, Hockley recommended and the President gave approval for the purchase of the following armament for the defense of the coast:
|For Fort Velasco|
|For Fort Aransas|
|12 24-pounders, 9 12-pounders|
|For Fort Brazos Santiago|
|12 24-pounders, 9 12-pounders, 4 6-pounders|
|For a Star Redoubt at the East end of Galveston Island|
|9 24-pounders, 3 12-pounders|
|"Say 15 guns, deducting 4 thirty-two pounders now there"|
|For a small Triangular Redoubt at Point Bolivar|
|For Isle San Luis|
|3 24-pounders, 2 6-pounders|
|Cannister, grape and round-shot|
40. At the east end of Galveston Island.
41. At the west end of Galveston Island.
42. George W. Hockley, Colonel of Ordnance, to Branch T. Archer, Secretary of War, Ordnance Department, September 1840, in Texas Congress, Journals of the House of Representatives, Fifth Congress, Appendix, pp. 169-174.