Go to Page | Index | Contents 124     | Biblio. | Page- | Page+

The Córdova-Flores Incident

out. These returned late in the afternoon with information that the unknown, and presumably hostile party, had crossed the Colorado between the falls and the settlement and seemed to be headed in the direction of Seguin. Burleson at once took up the line of march. That night he camped on Bear Creek, about ten miles southwest of the Waterloo settlement. Early the next morning, before they broke camp, a runner arrived from the Hornsby's Bend settlement, saying that a large Indian trail had been discovered nearby and that the men in the expedition were wanted to protect their families. The "Córdova trail" was abandoned, and the whole party fell back rapidly toward the settlement. Arriving there, the men found that a false alarm had been given. The trail which had been discovered was the very one that Burleson had been following. Several of the men now refused to go forward once more when the pursuit was resumed. That night Burleson and his men camped again on Bear Creek. A whole day had been lost.

Around ten o'clock at night Tom Moore, often known as "Black Tom," and W. M. Robison appeared in the Texan camp and informed the men of the true character of the enemy they were pursuing.[36]  Robison had been a member of the Córdova party, but for some reason of mistrust Córdova had had him court-martialed and sentenced to be shot the next day -- the day that he reached Burleson's camp. While Córdova's party was preoccupied in crossing Onion Creek, Robison had effected his escape and, although Córdova had spent the whole day looking for him, he had succeeded in reaching Moore's house, and the two had set out to notify Burleson of Córdova's mission to Mexico to seek munitions of war with which to equip the Indians for their planned attack upon the Texans. Robison joined Burleson's party, but Burleson took the precaution to have him vigilantly watched then and for some time after his return from the pursuit of Córdova.

Although Burleson started early the next morning and soon found

the battle of San Jacinto commanded Company C of the First Regiment of Texas volunteers. In the battle his left hand was crippled for life. After the Revolution, he served as captain of a ranger company on the frontier, and in the First Congress of the Republic and in the Fifth and Eighth state legislatures. He participated in the campaign against General Adrián Woll. Kige Highsmith, "Biographical Sketch of Jesse Billingsley," in Jesse Billingsley Papers, ms.; Sam Houston Dixon and Louis Wiltz Kemp, The Heroes of San Jacinto, pp. 157-158.

36. Telegraph and Texas Register, April 10, 1839; Col. Edward Burleson to A. Sidney Johnston, Secretary of War, Bastrop County, April 3, 1839, in ibid., April 17, 1839.

Go to Page | Index | Contents 124     | Biblio. | Page- | Page+

AFTER SAN JACINTO: The Texas-Mexican Frontier, 1836-1841
Joseph Milton Nance, 1963