Go to Page | Index | Contents 250     | Biblio. | Page- | Page+

Federalist Wars: Second Phase

The superior Centralist force quickly followed in pursuit with nine hundred men and three pieces of artillery. A forced march, characterized by great confusion, resulted. Canales was terrified, and "not knowing what to do, permitted his men to fall into the utmost disorder and confusion. His lifeguard fled and never returned. . . . Men were strewed in confusion for ten or twelve miles, with their ammunition stampeded on mules, they knew not where . . . Zapata, in the meantime, keeping in the rear, wou[l]d occasionally turn upon the purs[u]ing army, and hold them in check." The Centralists, snapping at the heels of the Federalists like coyotes, dared not risk an attack, but fell back each time Zapata stopped. This continued until Marín was reached. Just as the last of Zapata's men crossed the San Juan (Pesquería) River at Marín, the Centralists appeared on the opposite side. Several Texans who had lingered in Marín to purchase bread, drink, and other items while the main body had gone forward, came near being caught. The Centralists broke off the pursuit at the narrow pass of Sabinas, near Marín, on January 3,[172]  but the frightened Canales continued in great haste across the Río Meteros until he reached a mountain thirty miles from Marín, where he encamped, thus ending a continuous march of sixty miles from Monterey. The life guard, commanded by Dr. Alsbury, which had deserted, "encamped five miles beyond the army,"[173]  resuming its march toward the settled area of Texas the next day. Becoming convinced that the Federalists had dispersed, Arista returned to Monterey on January 4, and remained four days; following which, he advanced to Sabinas, where he encamped six days, and then moved to Marín and thence to Cadereyta on the 18th of January, where he established his headquarters for thirty-nine days.

Texas, San Antonio, Texas, Nov. 1, 1857, in Memorials and Petitions (Texas), ms. The petitioner stated that she was in the Alamo at the time of its fall, and that she was the widow of Dr. Alexander Alsbury who was taken prisoner by General Adrián Woll and imprisoned at Perote, 1843-1844. Alsbury accompanied the American army to Mexico in 1846 and was killed by the Mexicans near the Río Grande in 1847. The legislature granted Mrs. Alsbury a pension of $100.00 per year during her life. Sam Houston Dixon and Louis Wiltz Kemp, The Heroes of San Jacinto, pp. 308-309.

172. Itinerario de las campañas en Tamaulipas, Coahuila y N. León, desde 23 de Febrero de 1839 hasta hoy 28 de Marzo de 1841," in El Ancla, March 29, 1841.

173. "Information derived from Anson G. Neal, May 30, 1847," in Lamar Papers, VI, 104.

Go to Page | Index | Contents 250     | Biblio. | Page- | Page+

AFTER SAN JACINTO: The Texas-Mexican Frontier, 1836-1841
Joseph Milton Nance, 1963