Go to Page | Index | Contents 251     | Biblio. | Page- | Page+

Federalist Wars: Second Phase

The Canales and Zapata forces now separated briefly. Zapata marched directly to Guerrero, his home; whereas, Canales on January 7 crossed the Río Grande at Mier (where he had previously engaged in the practice of law) and proceeded up the east side of the river toward Guerrero. There the Federalist forces were soon reunited. As soon as the Río Grande was crossed, forty-five of the Texans, including Neill, Cairnes and John C. Hays, dissatisfied with the incompetence of Canales, took their leave and returned home. Ten or twelve of the Texans reached Victoria early in February.[174]  The number of Federalists under arms east of the Río Grande was reported at approximately 250 Mexicans and 50 Americans.[175]

Upon arrival at Guerrero, Zapata found two of his men, a gachupín by the name of Jeffreys, whose life he had saved from a Centralist lancer when Jeffreys had lingered behind at Marín, and a Mexican by the name of Mandeole, who had deserted a day or two before. Both men were exacting a money contribution from the inhabitants of the town; and when questioned about their conduct, declared that they had been sent there by Canales to collect funds for the army. Zapata, however, placed them under arrest until he left the place.[176]

While Canales was in the vicinity of Mier laying his plans for the future, the Federalist leader Francisco Vidaurri was defeated near Peyotes [Pellotes] in Coahuila by a force of presidials under Juan José Galán, supported by ranchero cavalry commanded by Captains Pedro Rodríquez and Elguézabal. The Federalists fled into Peyotes, fortifying themselves in its houses, and while Galán was preparing to lay siege to the place, Vidaurri and his men escaped from the eastern edge of the town. The Centralists pursued them to the bridge of the Mole.[177]  Finally, on January 7, 1840, at Villa de Gigedo Vidaurri's forces were soundly defeated by 275 Centralists under Captain Galán, and Vidaurri fled to the Río Grande to join Canales.[178]

174. Colorado Gazette and Advertiser, Feb. 8, 1840.

175. Ibid.

176. Ibid.

177. Alessio Robles, Coahuila y Texas, II, 217.

178. José María de Ortega to the Governor of Nuevo León, Jan. 14, 1840, in Seminario Politico del Gobierno de Nuevo León, Jan. 16, 1840.

Go to Page | Index | Contents 251     | Biblio. | Page- | Page+

AFTER SAN JACINTO: The Texas-Mexican Frontier, 1836-1841
Joseph Milton Nance, 1963