teacher and Cumberland minister, came to Red River County in the 1830's. He lived about five miles northwest from Clarksville and just east of what is today, and has been for a number of years, Stones Chapel Church. Rev. Sampson had quite a long ministry in Texas. He died in the late 50's and was buried at the old Shiloh burying ground, four miles northeast from Clarksville, near where the first church was organized.
Many worthy ministers and laymen appear in collaboration with these already mentioned, and are worthy of remembrance along with them and others who inherit the fruits of their labors. To mention a few names will awaken memories in the hearts of older generations: Sam McCorcle, Saul Awalt, R. D. King, T. B. Wilson, N. P. Modrall and Charles Goldberg. Here let us record the roll call of the Presbytery of Red River County: Ministers present, James Sampson (retiring Moderator), T. W. Fuquay, L. C. Hudaburgh, S. F. Donnell, J. M. Patterson. Absent, Sam Corley, Wm. Provine, Jno. McKee. Elders present, James McRunnell, Joseph Reed, Peter Edwards, C. Craig.
One of the earliest buildings in Clarksville used for preaching purposes was a double log house, used for both school and preaching purposes, erected by the son-in-law of John B. Denton, whose name was Hill. Mr. Hill was a teacher and also a preacher and was known at the time as the "fighting preacher". Denton, Craig, Shook, and