mostly in Gwinnett County. Following the war between the States, three sons came west, following Jack, who had settled at an early date in Gonzales County. Two settled in Arkansas, John, at Mena in Polk County. Luke and Rupert landed at Shawnee Chapel in 1868 and bought land from the Wootten tract, which at that time was owned by the Wootten heirs, Beaty, and Hardman.
Luke Medford's first wife, the mother of Edward L., Wm. Monroe, Parker Josiah, Benjamin Wheeler, Anderson, and Adeline, was buried at Milledgeville, Georgia, before coming to Texas. His second wife was Louise Tedder Arwood of Marietta, Cobb County, Georgia, who had two sons, Theodore and James Arwood. To this union were born two sons, Charles and Oscar Newton, and three daughters, Nova, May, and Fannie. A son, Anderson, died soon after coming to Red River County and is buried at Wootten Cemetery near Shawnee Chapel. Dr. Wm. Medford and Edward L. Medford, also sons of the first union, are buried at Avery. May, of the second union, is also buried at Avery. The rest are at this time living in the eastern part of Red River County, and in other parts of the State.
J. B. Wootten headrighted land near Savannah Springs in 1833. He later purchased land from the Wellborn tract at Shawnee and moved his family and slaves there. Two daughters inherited parts of this holding. They were Mrs. J. H. Beaty and Mrs. G. W. Peek. Other tracts of this