to mill for a distance of over 100 miles. The power used for this mill was first a tread-wheel, and in the early fifties they added the first cotton gin and put in a water wheel for power.
Capt. James Clark told the writer that he frequently went to mill at old Concord and found people camped there who had traveled in ox wagon with wheat to be made into flour and corn to be ground into meal.
A PROMINENT PIONEER FAMILY OF RED RIVER
John Terry came to Red River County March 6, 1846. His father before him was William Terry of Tennessee. They first moved to Indiana, then to the territory of Arkansas. John Terry was the fifth of eleven children born to his parents. He was reared chiefly in Indiana and Arkansas. He first came to Texas in 1839, and since that time has been living in Red River County. John Terry was married September 8, 1839, to Miss Lucindy Reed, the daughter of Mary and Joseph Reed.
To this union were born fourteen
children, five of whom died in infancy. William, Joseph, Sarah E., and
Mary F., Henry C., Margaret E., John R., James M., and Elbina grew to
manhood and womanhood. Mr. Terry was an ardent Free Mason. He was a
member of the Methodist Church all of his life, a very highly respected
man, and was prominent in farmers' organizations.