Go to Page | Index | Contents | 20   Pineville, LA | Page- | Page+

was panic stricken, and ran over each other like a drove of beef cattle. After order was resumed, we marched on toward Alexandria, and camped until daylight, when we resumed our march; crossed Red River, marched in the direction of Little River, camped in the piny woods, on what was called Clear Creek. Here occurred an incident that I will relate -- a turbulent fellow, James Franks, came off duty in a fret, found no water at his mess, picked up the bucket and swore that he would go and bring a bucket of water, and the first man who took a drink, he would knock him down. A little fellow, named Jesse Steelman, ran up, told him "to go, hurry, that he wanted a drink"; which provoked Franks, and turned around, and shelled the bucket to staves over Steelman's head, knocked him down in a pile of guns, which had fixed bayonets, but he never resented it.

From this place, we went to Pineville, a little town, opposite Alexandria, on the other side of the river. This place was filled with a great many low characters of the fair sex, and it was a difficult matter for the officers to keep the men in camp. One of these women struck one of our men on the arm, with a large knife, and inflicted a very serious wound. Many others suffered the penalties of military law, for being caught in their company by the patrol.

Here we drew a lot of shoes, but as I was out on guard, I got none, although I had been barefooted for months; however, they afterward got me a pair of no. elevens, which I wore until the spring of 1864, (this was the summer of 1863) my number being eights.

From here, we again crossed the river, and went to McNutt's Hill, which place is twenty miles a little south of west from Alexandria.

From this place, after spending about a month, we took up the march in a southeasterly direction. During the first day's march, I suffered greatly from Neuralgia. I procured a slow pass, which was a slip of paper with just these words "Slow Pass", signed by the surgeon of the Reg't. This was something unusual for me, as a general rule, I had fine health, regardless of the hardships incident to soldier life.

The next place that I remember on the march was Evergreen, where we spent a day or two. Next we came to Big Cane, a village situated on a stream of the same name.

While here, it rained a tremendous flood. We had anticipated it, however, and the evening before had cut palmetto, (which growth abounds there) and filled our tent half full, then made our bed upon it; supposing that we were above high water mark, but before day, to our astonishment, the water reached us, causing us to rise, and seek a drier place. I rolled a large, short log into the tent, rolled my bedding up, placed it upon it, and flew up to roost the remainder of the night -- such is an index to soldier life.

From here, I think we retraced our steps about three miles, to an elevation of land, containing a thousand acres, more or less, about six feet

Go to Page | Index | Contents | 20   Pineville, LA | Page- | Page+
Life of John C. Porter and Sketch of His Experiences in the Civil War

John C. Porter 1874